April 20, 2020 In Home and Farm
How to responsibly share your medical expertise.
I am an MD. Because of that some people will listen to what I have to say.
I could abuse that position. I should try not to.
How we should make medical recommendations.
- Use high quality research. Sites, etc
- Tell the audience how certain you are. ex. This is N=1. etc.
- Recognize your limitations -” here’s what I know. Here is by bias.”
- Be careful – don’t prescribe dangerous things.
- Recognize that you have biases and try to compensate for that.
- Invite scrutiny – ask “does this sound off”.
- Remain humble and be willing to admit when you are wrong and change your position.
- Let truth lead to where it may – that’s the beauty of independent scientists.